St George Jumpers Road
Last updated Thursday, 21 February, 2013
St George's Church, Jumpers Road, Christchurch
8.00 am Eucharist
(1st and 3rd Sunday of the month and Easter Day)
9.30 am Sung Eucharist and Junior Church
On the last Sunday of the month (unless otherwise announced):
4.15 pm Messy Church (Activities and a short service for children and parents/guardians followed by a shared meal in the Church Hall)
10.00 am Holy Communion
In the late 1890s at 4 Fitzmaurice Road (then called Church Road), the home of Mrs Whiteley, a Sunday School was started by Mrs Alicia Carter of Wick with the help of Miss Maud Druitt and Mrs Blair of Southbourne and the approval of the Vicar of Christchurch, Rev T. Bush.
On 4th August 1898 planning permission was granted for a 30ft by 18ft building to be built as a place of worship, which became known as Portfield and Jumpers Mission Church. This was built on land belonging to Mr John Preston where numbers 9 and 11 Fitzmaurice Road now stand.
On 8th June 1909 plans were approved for a Tin Church to be built on the site between the present church and St George’s House. A second hand Tin Church was found at Brighton and sent to Christchurch Railway Station in sections and then transferred to the site in Jumpers Road.
In 1911 the church was not large enough to accommodate the increased congregation, and it was decided that a larger building should be erected. An appeal was launched. The foundation stone was laid by Mr James Druitt JP in August 1927, and St George's Church was dedicated in 1928 by the Bishop of Winchester, the Rt Rev Dr Theodore Woods. At that time there was oak panelling around the sanctuary, but, unfortunately damaged by woodworm, this had to be removed in 1957.
The Centenary of the Church was celebrated in 1998. It now serves an area of the Parish of Christchurch bounded by the Rivers Avon and Stour and the main railway line from Bournemouth to London.
The stained glass windows in the apse show St George, the Patron Saint of the Church, and St Paul. There is a window of Madonna and Child in the Lady Chapel.
The turret was rebuilt in 1933 to take a new 3.5 cwt (180 kg) bell, made by Messrs John Taylor & Co.
The altar in the Lady Chapel is the original one from the Tin Church and on the rear pillar is a picture of a Romanian 17th century St George.
The lectern is made from 14th century oak taken from the Priory roof when repairs were carried out in 1883.
The first organ was a pipe organ made by Bevington of London in 1870. The present organ is electronic.
The pulpit with its carved and painted picture of St George and the Dragon, provided by a legacy, was dedicated in 1958. The tapestry of the same subject was given in 1998.
Many things in the Church and the grounds have been provided by gift or legacy from past and present members of the congregation.