Last updated Wednesday, 20 March, 2019
|c.634||Birinus landed in Wessex (Anglo-Saxon Chronicles).|
|7th /8th cent.||First Saxon church built at Twynham.|
|1086||A Priory of 24 secular canons recorded in Domesday Book.|
|1094||Building of church commenced by Ranulf (Ralph) Flambard.|
|c.1100-1135||Roof partly completed. Transepts built.|
|c. 1145||Nave roofed at Triforium height.|
|1150||Prior Reginald appointed as first Prior and a community of Augustinian Canons Regular were established.|
|c. 1200||Aisles vaulted.|
|1210||Oldest Misericord seat carved.|
|1214||Nave Altar consecrated.|
|1290||Clerestory completed and roof raised. North Porch started.|
|1320||Quire screen carved.|
|1360||Jesse screen (reredos) carved.|
|1370||Two King's Head bells cast.|
|1390||Lady Chapel commenced.|
|c. 1420||Central tower collapsed or taken down|
|1460||Tomb of Sir John and Lady Chidiock installed in North Transept|
|1480||West Tower added.|
|1486||Berkeley Chantry built.|
|1502 - 1520||Great Quire rebuilt by Prior William Eyre.|
|1520||Prior John Draper elected.|
|1539||Priory surrendered to King Henry VIII and monastic buildings destroyed (The Dissolution).|
|1549 (Oct 23)||Church granted to town's inhabitants and churchwardens as their parish church in perpetuity.|
|1552||Prior Draper died.|
|1662||Grammar School established in St. Michael's Loft|
|1788||An organ placed on top of Quire Screen. (Gustavus Brander Bequest).|
|1828||Grammar School ceased but Vicar's Academy continued in St. Michael's Loft (until 1869).
Church school established in the town.
|1848||Organ moved from screen to South Transept gallery|
|1854||Shelley Monument installed.|
|1865||Rebuild of organ by Father Willis.|
|1867||Church School moved to Wick Lane.|
|1869||School in Priory closed.|
|1910-1912||Galleries removed from North and South Transepts.|
|1934||Electric lighting installed.|
|1973||Coal-burning stoves replaced with new gas-heating system.
New electronic organ installed.
|1981||Cloister Way built. St Michael's Loft opened as a museum.|
|1996 - 1998||Seven stained glass windows installed in Cloister Way depicting the history of the Priory.|
|1999||New pipe organ installed (Nicholsons). Made possible by an appeal and an Arts Council grant from the Capital Lottery Fund.
Installation of Ninth Centenary Window in North Transept (Jane Gray).